Pages

no wardrobe space

Lifestyle Blog

Search This Blog

Wednesday 16 August 2017

Lets talk about life after University








I want to talk about life after University (to be specific) and the overwhelming sense of uncertainty that is presented to you after graduation day. When you realise that finding that 'dream job' is going to be more difficult than you thought. But I really don't see it as the end of the world. You have many more years to come to land the dream role, and it will take time and dedication. Although I have luckily landed myself a job, it is not necessarily the job I hope to stay in for years to come. As I hope to gain further qualifications to become a Speech and Language Therapist. Lets hope.

But also that uncertainty is not also about finding your 'dream job', it can also be about moving back home to your parents (The likely case for most graduates). I believe there is not a lot spoken about the anxiety that comes with moving back home after University. You go to University (mostly) to gain independence and experience living alone or with house mates, which often lasts for a minimum of three years. That is a long time away from home. And then to suddenly move back home...it can have its difficulties. I have certainly found it difficult to move from a city to a village, with no local amenities. I would have to walk at least half an hour to the local shop, and that is if I walk fast. Although I love my parents place, having the house hold items of a whole house and then moving back into one room was certainly hard, a struggle to say the least.





However, now that I am settled in at home, and I am close to passing my driving test, when I do, I know that it will make a huge difference. It will definitely give me greater freedom. Especially make it easier to get to and from work, and to visit my boyfriend down in Kent. 

But I would also consider getting in touch and rekindling relationships with friends that stayed in your home town whilst you went to University, or friends that have also returned from University. This gives you a good opportunity to get out of the house, have fun and reminisce over old memories. 

Lets look at this time in our lives and remember our most funniest and eye opening experiences gained from higher education and remind ourselves that (hopefully one day the debt will be worth it, haha), no I kid, remind ourselves that we all have to leave education at some point in our lives and face the real working world. And to feel anxious after graduating is normal, and is nothing to be ashamed of. 

S x 



2 comments:

  1. I'm in the middle of getting my degree and although I have two years more to go I'm always thinking about how difficult will it be. I mean, the process is super fun but I think we all always have the idea that we receive the diploma and everything begins, and it's not like that.. but it's nice to dream about it though haha. I wish you the best of lucks in this new phase!

    www.blossomikebana.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! As a graduate, I really see the value in getting a degree/diploma, but I will say that it does come with some upsets and difficulties. However it is all worth it! Thank you, hope you do well in your degree!

      Delete

Subscribe to our mailing list:

Follow

Social